The name you choose for your baby is one of the most important decisions you will make. It will likely stay with them for their entire life. People want unique names for their children. Sometimes, they choose names that mean death or have dark or immortal connotations.
People choose names based upon their own experiences, research words in baby books or dictionaries, or choose something from pop culture. Names from pop culture like Alexa, Siri, and Mario have different connotations than their literal meanings, but that meaning usually fades with time.
“In order for the light to shine brightly, the darkness must be present.” “Even the stars cannot twinkle without darkness.”Francis Bacon
Do you think your little one will shine or sparkle brightly in darkness? There are many names to choose from that are suitable.
We understand the pressure that comes with choosing names. We have compiled a list of rare, classic, and traditional names to help you make the decision. This article helps you choose unique names that mean death or have dark connotations.
Names That Mean Death or Darkness
- Anpu –is an Egyptian name that means ‘god of death.’
- Jair – is a Hebrew name that means ‘he who shines’ or ‘he who enlightens.’
- Thanatos – once meant ‘death’ in old Greek.
- Markandeya – is a name from India that means ‘one who conquers death.’
- Khentimentiu – is an Egyptian name also used for ‘god of death.’
- Omkara – is a name that refers to the life, death, and rebirth cycle of reincarnation in Sanskrit.
- Anthanasios – is a Greek name that means ‘immortal.’
- Aeron – is a Welsh and English name that means ‘battle’ or ‘enlightened.’
- Enoch – is a Hebrew name that means ‘experienced’ or ‘dedicated.’
- Azrail – is a name that means ‘the angel of death.’
- Claeg – is a name that means ‘mortal.’
- Dabria – is a name that means ‘angel of death.’
- Freyja – is a name that denotes ‘lady of love,’ ‘beauty,’ and ‘death.’
- Javaraya – is a name used by the community of tribe in the state of Karnataka to mean ‘god of death.’
- Clay – is a name that means ‘mortal’ or ‘one who is subject to death any moment of his life.’
- Loralie/Lorelai/Loreley – is a name that refers to a beautiful woman who leads a man to his death.
- Azrael – is a Hebrew name that means ‘angel of death.’
- Achlys – is the Greek name referring to the goddess of misery and sadness.
- Bacia – is a Ugandan name that means ‘family deaths ruined the home.’
- Kek/Kauket – is an Egyptian name for the deities of darkness, obscurity, and night.
- Mabuz – is a Scottish name that means ‘ruler of death castle.’
- Morana/Marzanna/Marena/Mara/Mora – is an Eastern European name for the goddess of winter’s death.
- Septhis – is a Persian name for ‘eternal death.’
- Thana – is a Greek name for the ‘god of death.’
- Mallory – comes from the Latin ‘Mal’ (bad or evil) and means’ unfortunate’ or ‘ill-fated.’
- Mortimer – comes from the Latin root ‘Mort,’ which means ‘death,’ and ‘dead sea.’
- Teivel – is the Yiddish word for ‘devil.’
- Lilith – is from Jewish folklore, meaning ‘night monster.’
- Desdemona – means ‘of the devil,’ ‘ill-fated one,’ or ‘misery.’
- Hecate – is a Greek goddess name associated with witchcraft, magic, fierce hounds, and creatures who roam in the darkness.
NAMES THAT MEAN DEATH IS GIVEN
There are many last names or surnames that mean death. Here is a list of last names that mean death is given.
- Nathan – was a name that meant ‘Yahweh has given’ in Hebrew. It may also mean ‘a gift.’
- Merripen – is of English gypsy origin and is said to mean ‘death or life.’
- Stephen – means ‘crowned’ and is a popular baby boy name in English-speaking countries today.
- Hasan – is an Arabic name for a little boy that means ‘beautiful’ or ‘good.’
- Anubis – is an Egyptian name for the ‘god of death.’
- Oswin – is the name of a god or deity and was commonly used in Old English.
- Edwin – was a name that meant ‘friends of riches’ or ‘blessed friends.’
GREEK NAMES THAT MEAN DEATH
Parents choose unique names because they want their children to stand out from the rest. It is considered immortal to be named after a deceased person. Below is a list of Greek names that mean death and female names that are associated with death.
- Persefoni – is an Old Greek name that means ‘bringer to death.’
- Athanasius – is derived from the Greek “Athanasios” which depicts death.
- Thanatos – is a Greek term that means ‘death.’ It lives with Hades in underworld.
- Than – – is a Greek name that means ‘death.’
- Deianira – is a Greek name that portrays someone who is a man-destroyer.
- Deidamia – is from Greek mythology, and means “to destroy.”
- Achlys – This is a Greek name meaning ‘darkness.’
Take Care to Consider Name Meanings
Don’t tell your family or friends your name choice before you give birth.
Find out about the origin and meaning of the name. You can find examples of the name in literature and online. To search online for the full name, you may also be interested in looking for negative associations or names that mean death throughout history or the news.
- “95 Evil Baby Names.” Love to Know. baby.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Evil_Baby_Names
- “Baby Names: 94 of the ‘Worst’ Names – and Their Terrible Meanings.” Closer. closeronline.co.uk/family/news/worst-baby-name-bad-meaning-girl-boy/